Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lucky or Unlucky?

The poker tournament was on Saturday and I have come to the conclusion that, in the end, poker comes down to luck. By luck, I do not mean putting all your chips in the middle and pray (which is what some of the players did on Saturday). I mean that you have to play well and hope to not get unlucky.

I was playing well...even with the alcohol flowing through me. Reading my opponents, making good guesses on their hands. For a lot of them, I was giving them more credit than they deserved. But there were two hands that broke me and both involved me getting unlucky. The main hand was when I had AA and the flop came King, Jack, Four...two spades. I felt my opponent was playing a draw so I went all in, in the hopes of him folding because I was pretty confident I could get the best of him down the road. I didn't expect him to call all his chips with a 30% chance of getting his card. He had two spades in his hand (which is what I thought) and...of course, he got is fifth spade on the turn. The poker pros always say that all you can do is get your chips in with the best hand. I did that all night, but I still ended up in 10th place.

So, my apologies to Party Poker, PokerStars and Facebook poker sites. Apparently, bad beats happen with a good old deck of cards as well. I guess losing the Mega Millions Jackpot was not the end of my unlucky streak.

No comments: