Friday, January 15, 2010

A new year...

A new year is upon us and what a year it promises to be. It seems than every year from here on out will be momentous, but the first in our children's' lives will be much more so. This year will be filled with challenges and surprises, but here is hoping that it all comes out okay.

The year has started with the annual sickness. We don't get sick much in the Johnston household, but one sickly time always seems to enter in around the time of New Year's. I think it was me that was the originator this time, giving it to Sam and finally to Lauren. The good and bad is that with Lauren getting the cold, it turned into bronchitis and a miserable time for her. But, the good news is that she was taking out of work two weeks early. She is now on disability for the second time in her life and won't have to go back to NICU until (hopefully) August.

The new year has also brought me to my ten-year anniversary for working at The Huntington. I do not understand where the years have gone, but a decade has passed since I was the new guy on the job. Thinking back on all the people that have worked here, I realize that I really have been here that long because so many people have left to other positions...so many friends. I promised Viki that I would stay in this position for at least one year...well, I guess I held up my side of the bargain.

Most importantly, the new year has created a bigger promise to God. Since Sam was born, it has been tough going to church each week because of the huge task of keeping him happy (and quiet) for an hour. It turned into a burden that was easily avoided each week. However, by avoiding the burden, it also created a chasm that needed to be mended. Due to certain circumstances with a friend of ours, the power of God has become apparent in my life that is impossible to ignore. The miracle that He performed over the Christmas season has undoubtedly inspired an entire group of believers that will never forget. Because of all of this we are working hard to not avoid the burden of Sam for 2010.

Another burden that I am trying not to avoid is that of staying healthy. I have done a great job of getting out of shape, hopefully 2010 will begin the pact with myself to stay at a better level of physique. I always think of what would happen in a global catastrophe or Chinese/Russian invasion. Would I be prepared to protect my family and myself if I had too? Right now...the answer is no. I have to turn that answer into yes.

Who knows what the year has in store for us. But, those Russians are crazy.

No comments: