Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bottom of the 7th...

...down by 11 runs...no chance, right?

We start slow with a run here and a run there. Eventually, there are two outs and I'm gonna be third up...we are down six runs...bases loaded. I'm thinking...there's no way I'll get up...BOOM...Ed hits a grand slam...down by two. Rudy gets up...dings a triple to right center. Crap...now I'm up..."just don't blow it" is racing through my head. I hit a sharp grounder to the hole between third and short, but the shortstop makes a great play...but Rudy deeks him by faking to home...stalling him just enough for me to dash to first (bum toe and all) and beat out the throw by a half step.

So now the deuces are wild...two outs, two on base, down by two. Chuck is at the plate. I see the pitch go up...and I see Chuck's eyes light up...I sprint to second, knowing he's gonna go for it. He hits a line drive over shortstop. I'm knowing that I will tie the game, but when I touch home plate I turn around and see the ball went in between the outfielders and Chuck is hustling home. WALK OFF HOME RUN!

We win! Our first victory in about six months. It feels good to be on the winning side for a change.

No comments: